Economic Development in the Area
Visit us at the Southeast Georgia Joint Development Authority
The Folkston and Charlton County Development Authority
The Folkston-Charlton County Development Authority manages the Okefenokee Industrial Park, a 100-acre park located strategically off Highways 1 and 301 in Folkston.
There are several sites available in the park with the infrastructure in place.
The City of Homeland has a ten-acre site with electric power, water and sewer service available.
There are three privately owned sites which are located in Folkston adjacent to US 1 and 301 with electric power, natural gas, water, sewer and rail spur service. These are four-, eleven- and 46-acre sites. The four acre site has a 10,000 square foot warehouse and several other buildings on it.
Current Top Employers
- AJM Packaging Corporation
- B.H.A./G.E. Energies
- Big John Trailers
- Charlton County Commissioners
- Charlton County School System
- Charlton County Hospital Authority
- Cornell Corrections, Inc.
- Flash Foods, Inc.
- Fulgham Fibers
- Harvin Carter and Associates
- West Fraser Paper Company
- Margo State Line, Inc.
Where is Folkston and Charlton County?
Location: Southeastern Region of Georgia.
Land Area: 783 square miles. The most timbered county in Georgia, Charlton boasts over 98% of its area in woodlands.
Climate: Residents and visitors enjoy a pleasant climate for the majority of the year. Average temperatures range from 39 - 69° F (4 - 20° C) in the month of January and 70 - 92° F (21 - 33° C) in the month of July. Winters are short and mild.
Driving Distances to Folkston
- 24 Miles from Kingsland, GA and its Naval Base
- 28 Miles from St. Marys, GA
- 37 Miles from Waycross, GA
- 37 Miles from Jacksonville International Airport
- 46 Miles from Jacksonville, FL
- 49 Miles from Brunswick, GA and its Seaport
- 60 Miles from Brunswick GA Jet Port
- 96 Miles from Valdosta, GA
- 119 Miles from Savannah, GA
- 138 Miles from Daytona, FL
- 186 Miles from Orlando, FL
- 212 Miles from Macon, GA
- 233 Miles from Columbus, GA
- 288 Miles from Atlanta, GA
Utilities and Services for Industry
- Electricity - Georgia Power Company (912) 496-2222
Okefenokee Rural Electric (800) 262-5131
- Natural Gas - Georgia Natural Gas Company
- Telephone Service - Alltel Georgia (800) 501-1754, (912) 496-7342
- Television/Cable - Media One (800) 255-9371
- Water - City of Folkston (912) 496-2563
- Building Permits - Folkston City Hall (912) 496-2563
- Building License - Folkston City Hall (912) 496-2563
- Postal Service - Folkston Post Office,
St George Post Office, both 31537.
- Transportation - Greyhound Lines Inc. (912) 496-4570
- Charlton County Court House
- Homeland City Hall